Braised Short Ribs with Orecchiette
- 1.5 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3/4 cup stock - beef or chicken
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup tomato purée
- Parmesan cheese
- heavy cream, to taste
- parsley or celery leaves, chopped
- 1/2 pound Orecchiette pasta, cooked al dente
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a stovetop pressure cooker over medium-high heat. Add short ribs and brown on all sides. Add onion, celery and carrot and cook until softened. Stir in tomato paste. Add wine and reduce by half. Add stock. Bring to high pressure and pressure cook for 1 hour. Naturally release pressure. Remove bones and skim fat*. With a fork, shred the short ribs.
- In a medium saucepan, add short ribs with its cooking liquid and tomato purée. Simmer over medium heat. Add a touch of cream and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Season to taste.
- Serve with Orecchiette pasta and garnish with herbs and Parmesan.
- Fat is easy to remove if made in advance and chilled.
Marcel's Culinary Experience http://www.marcelsculinaryexperience.com/