Lemon Cream Scones
- 3 cups flour
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup heavy cream, plus 3 tablespoons for egg wash
- 2 large eggs, and 1 more for egg wash
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a food processor or large bowl, combine flour, butter, sugar, baking powder and salt. Blend in butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal. In a separate bowl, whisk together ¾ cup cream, 2 eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Add cream mixture to flour mixture and mix just until incorporated. Turn onto a floured work surface and form into a flat disc, about 8”across for large scones; or form 2 discs about 4-5” across each for smaller scones. Cut each disc into 8 wedges and transfer to baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining egg and the 3 tablespoons cream to make an egg wash. Brush scones with the wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until tops or golden brown and firm, 20-25 min.
Marcel's Culinary Experience http://www.marcelsculinaryexperience.com/