Lemon Curd Tart
- ¾ cup butter, room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- pinch of salt
- 2-4 lemons
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ¼ pound butter, room temperature
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1/ teaspoon salt
- 1 10” baked tart shell
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix the butter and sugar together until they are just combined. Add the vanilla. Then add the flour and salt. Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together. Press the dough into a 10” round tart pan, making sure the finished edge is flat. Chill until firm. Place a piece of parchment paper inside the chilled tart. Fill with rice or beans. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove parchment and beans, prick the tart all over with the tines of a fork, and bake again for 20-25 minutes more, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool to room temperature*.
- Remove the zest from 2 of the lemons, being careful to avoid the white pith.Squeeze enough lemons to make ½ cup juice. Put the zest in a food processor and add the sugar. Process for 2-3 minutes, until the zest is very finely minced. Add the butter, then the eggs, one at a time. Finally, add the lemon juice and salt. Mix until combined. Pour the mixture into a 2 quart saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 10 minutes. The curd will thicken at about 175 degrees. Remove from heat.
- Fill the tart shell with the warm lemon curd** and allow to sit at room temperature.
- *Can be made 1 day ahead. Makes one 10” tart shell or 5 4 ½” tart shells.
- **Can substitute limes, oranges or grapefruit for equal measures of the lemon zest and juice.
Marcel's Culinary Experience http://www.marcelsculinaryexperience.com/